Wednesday, December 3, 2014

"What the Heck"

My grandpa has always taken us fishing.  Fishing is a great thing to do with a grandpa.  All grandpas like to teach their grandchildren how to fish.  When fishing with grandpa we do it on a boat, his boat that is a totally ghetto boat.  We put down riggers in the water to gauge the depth that we want with three other poles trolling the back of the boat.  There is a total of five poles in the water which means for a lot of catching.  In the Soldier Creek reservoir in Utah the fish we catch are good sized rainbow trout and cockney salmon.  What my grandpa taught me about cockney salmon is that they have very soft mouths.  So if you wrestle with one he will rip the hook out of his mouth.  All cockney salmon do is wrestle with you when you're trying to drag them in.  To remedy this problem he put elastic rubber bands on the ends of the hooks.  A very smart idea to catch the better tasting fish.

When I caught one he said it was too small and that I needed to put it back in the lake.  As I was taking the hook out of his mouth I forgot for a second that fish don't breath out of the water.  Due to that fact I had the fish out of the water for too long and when I finally got the hook out of his mouth it was too late.  The fish was dead.  I tried to run the water through the gills, but it didn't swim off, it just turned belly up.  When that happened my grandpa got very irritated with me and let out a few curse words.  When my grandpa curses at me I've never taken it personally, I just laugh.  I like when grandpa is that way with me actually it allows me to have a closer relationship with him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment