Monday, December 1, 2014

Grandpa Kissing Nurses

My grandpa on my mom's side never said much.  Not to me, not to anyone, he was just a quiet man.  Before I left on my mission he told me I has going to have two of the best years of my life.  I came back two years later to find him crying at the airport.  We were quite excited to see each other.  I noticed that my grandpa had grown old in those two years I was away.  I noticed that he couldn't keep his balance hardly at all.  In fact when I saw him in the airport he was falling over and I had to catch him, just to let you in on his physical state.  

It was the day of my home coming talk that it had happened.  My grandpa's balance was so bad that when he went to go get the mail that afternoon he fell and hit his head on the side walk curb.  My uncle got the call from my grandma and we all went to the emergency room.  Grandpa had never been the same since.  He recognizes people but he can't remember anyone.  He is much more out going in his state now than he was in his fully conscious state.  He will laugh and try to make jokes, but really they never make sense.  It's quite funny actually.  

This thanksgiving my older brother and I went to go pick him up at his nursing home.  I'm a fan of the nurses that take care of my grandpa, they're very good to him.  And he seems to like the girls because every time he leaves he'll give them a fat kiss.  . . . Now I've always like to tease my grandpa by playing with his ears.  I do this because he doesn't like to be touched.  For some time during the car ride to thanksgiving dinner I was playing with his ears.  He was sitting in the front seat while I was sitting in the back, so I had an unfair advantage.  Just because Grandpa isn't the same anymore doesn't mean I can't still have fun with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment